can you believe in most parts of the world it's saturday? which means it's time for the fourth consecutive first ever marketing breakdown of this week's opponent of the Beloved Spartans of Michigan State.
Michigan State at Wisconsin
Opponent's Marketing Overview:
- from a branding perspective, wisconsin has made the classic packaged goods mistake of adding line extensions, diluting the brand's value and cannibalizing sales (or in this case, students). its current SKUs include UW-Eau Claire, UW-Green Bay, UW-La Crosse, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Parkside, UW-Platteville, UW-River Falls, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Stout, UW-Superior, and UW-Whitewater. even the regents don't know where Stout is.
- the logo is officially known as the Motion W. having spent enough time in madison, i know its true name is the Woozy W.
- official typefaces are the indistinct Friz Quadrata and the indistinct-but-web-friendly Optima. wisconsin's official colors are red and white. it's difficult even typing that without yawning.
- on the plus side, the football team plays at Camp Randall. it was a confederate prison camp during the civil war. certainly beats names like Save-On.com Stadium.
- wisconsin is also home to the finest tradition in all the land, the Fifth Quarter. read about it here. better yet, stay after a game and see it yourself. truly inspirational.
- lastly, Camp Randall is the home of the greatest Cheerleader-On-Mascot crime ever captured on film. check it out here. we pick up the action just as Bucky Badger has stolen the Michigan State block S flag.
Prediction: watching that video always fires me up. michigan state by 49.