it's time for the fifth consecutive first ever marketing breakdown of this week's opponent of the Beloved Spartans of Michigan State. to be honest, just typing that again confuses me.
Michigan at Michigan State
Opponent's Marketing Overview:
i know i'm supposed to hate michigan, as they are the Beloved Spartans' big rivals. but i didn't grow up in the state of michigan, so i just wasn't born with the hate gene. it helps me review a well-marketed brand in an unbiased way.
- helmets - one of the university of michigan's most distinguished brand assets is their famous winged helmet. the design was blatantly stolen from princeton university. (the coach who started the design there later moved to michigan.)
- program - michigan has the winningest football program in the country. it's worth noting that many of these records were compiled when many other schools didn't have a football team, so records are quite skewed. as one of my friends frequently and irritatingly points out, the university of chicago has more big ten championships than michigan state, and they haven't played in the conference since 1946.
- block M - this simple logo is one of the most distinguishing in all the college landscape.
- colors - michigan's colors aren't just yellow and blue. they're maize and blue. much more ownable. other shades of yellow include lemon, flax, chartreuse yellow, and amber.
- fight song - the fight song is one of the most recognizable fight songs around, and as this child clearly shows, everyone likes it.
Prediction: even with an unbiased look at michigan's brand, it's difficult seeing the Beloved Spartans winning this one... by much. michigan state by 1 1/2.